With 2016 drawing to a close, we ask you to give consideration to the Glen Lake Association in your year-end gift planning. While the Association remains on a strong financial foundation, we will likely finish the 2016 year with a small operating deficit. This is because of conscious decisions our Board made to elevate the Swimmers’ Itch spring Merganser harassment campaign, investment to upgrade our database technology, and the design of our new website. We anticipate future cost savings in printing and postage among other communication benefits with our technology upgrades.
Listed below are some of the highlights of 2016 reflecting our mission to preserve and protect Glen Lake now and for future generations:
- Continued high level of water quality with no evidence of new invasive species.
- Recognition for our work by many regional and statewide organizations resulting in a $250,000 shared grant from the Michigan DNR to provide swimmers’ itch research.
- A newly designed and interactive website providing for ease of member use, event enrollment and informative video postings.
- Continued support of the position of watershed biologist Rob Karner who serves as an expert consultant for all water quality programs.
- Expansion of the Discovery Boat program led by Rob Karner, which serves to educate riparians about the preservation of Glen Lake. All members are encouraged to attend.
- A significant increase of our “Legends” endowment program where members include the Glen Lake Association in their estate plans.
- Sponsorship of two educational workshops on best practices for replanting and landscaping after the great storm of 2015.
- Extension of the Guardian program to include landscape professionals emphasizing their commitment to best practices for lake quality protection.
Membership dues provide only a portion of the annual costs to underwrite our expenses. Therefore, as you consider your year-end charitable giving, I would encourage you to include an additional contribution to help protect Glen Lake and the surrounding watershed. A separate email reminder for 2017 dues will be sent in early December, as you may also want to prepay your dues for tax purposes in 2016. Both donations and dues are tax deductible.
Bill Witler, President
Donate online now
To donate by mail please send to: The Glen Lake Association, P.O. Box 551, Glen Arbor, MI 49636.